6’8 fish as second board

All surfing hardware topics here. Boards, leashes, racks, wetsuits, boardies, surfgear, ding repair, wetsuit repair, surf wax...... you get the idea

6’8 fish as second board

Postby Vroooom » Sat Jun 20, 2026 12:42 pm

I’ve been surfing (consistently) for about 8 months. I’ve been riding a handed down 7’6 mini mal, but it’s very beaten up and is no longer watertight and im looking at a new (second hand) board. There’s a nice looking Christenson long phish 6’8 near me for sale. Would this be a good progression or too big of a jump in speed/sensitivity/etc?

I can pop up and ride pretty much every wave I successfully go for, go down the line confidently, do a basic bottom turn, but cannot do much more. I surf 2-7ft beach breaks. I enjoy the length/volume in getting lots of waves and the stability but definitely wouldn’t mind a bit more manoeuvrability.
Vroooom
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2026 12:31 pm

Re: 6’8 fish as second board

Postby jaffa1949 » Sun Jun 21, 2026 4:59 pm

Price could e good there is some adjustment but in the 8ft to 7ft range there are design factors other than length, can you try a surf on the board. Tal to the seller why is he selling_
I've taken up troll hunting just for fun, instead of a rifle I'll just use a pun! 冲浪爷爷
User avatar
jaffa1949
Surfing Legend
 
Posts: 8236
Likes: 163 posts
Liked in: 2487 posts
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 am
Location: The super secret point breaks of Ober Österreich ( how many will notice the change)

Re: 6’8 fish as second board

Postby Geezer » Tue Jun 23, 2026 6:25 am

What height and weight are you? How old are you? How often do you surf? Where is your home break/what kind of waves?

When you say progression view, mean that you are aiming to progress to ride short boards?
Geezer
Local Hero
 
Posts: 475
Likes: 152 posts
Liked in: 220 posts
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:05 am

Re: 6’8 fish as second board

Postby waikikikichan » Fri Jun 26, 2026 8:14 am

Vroooom wrote:I’ve been surfing (consistently) for about 8 months. Would this be a good progression or too big of a jump in speed/sensitivity/etc?


Yes. I wouldn't go shorter for a full two seasons. * but "a board" is better than "no board" *.

Vroooom wrote:but cannot do much more.

Vroooom wrote:I enjoy the length/volume in getting lots of waves and the stability but definitely wouldn’t mind a bit more manoeuvrability.

If you can't do turn downs and turn up currently on your 7'6", a 6'8" fish will be even harder to control. You'll need to take off on a wave that is much steeper. Fishes need to be surfed "ON RAIL", so if you can't go rail to rail on your 7'6", the 6'8" will punish you( not reward you )

But as said, better "a board" than "no board". Try it, you might like it, you might not.

Btw, do you know a ding repair guy ?
User avatar
waikikikichan
Surf God
 
Posts: 4816
Likes: 95 posts
Liked in: 2444 posts
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan


Similar topics

Return to Surfing Hardware